A family favourite… head over to the Wensleydale Creamery in Hawes, try their cheeses and choose your favourite to include in this delicious tart. We use the Yorkshire Wensleydale or the Fountains Gold Cheddar.
- 500g homemade or ready-made puff pastry 1 1⁄2 lb white onions, diced
- 1 oz butter
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 3 fl oz double cream
- 5 oz Wensleydale cheese grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Line a 10-inch loose bottomed quiche dish with the puff pastry.
- Dice the onions and then sweat them in a frying pan in the butter and oil mix takingcare not to brown them, season with a little salt.
- Sprinkle the onions with the brown sugar and nutmeg and leave them to cool.
- Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl and add the grated Wensleydale cheese and cream.
- Season the cooled onion with salt and pepper and add the combined egg, cream and Wensleydale cheese mixture.
- Fill the pastry case with the mixture and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the mixture is firm to the touch.
- Serve hot or cold.