Serve this at Christmas instead of cranberry as it is so much more local… and more delicious! Lovely with meat or even spread on toast.
- 2kg ripe berries – a mixture of rowan or rosehips, bramble, hawthorn, crab apple and elderberry.
- 2 pints of water
- 12oz preserving sugar to every pint of juice (see method)
- Place all the fruits in a pan and cover with the water. Don’t worry too much about stalks as the fruit will be strained.
- Bring to the boil and cook until softened (this will take about 15 mins)
- Strain through a fine sieve or muslin/jelly bag.
- Measure the quantity of juice once completely drained and add 12oz sugar to every pint of juice.
- Bring to the boil and cook until it reaches a good jelly point (approx. 20mins)
- Pour into sterilised jars, cover with sterilised lids and keep for up to 3 months.